Studio Office

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for a studio?

You can apply for all subsidised studios and studio flats that are currently advertised. Here you will find all information on the application procedure.

The advertisement of all available rooms usually takes place every two months and is published on this website and via the studio newsletter by the studio office.

Attention: due to contact restrictions (COVID-19), visits are not possible at the moment. Instead, we are making images and/or video material available on our website.

Link to the current tender

Who decides about my application?

The selection decisions for the allocation of studios and studio flats funded or provided by the State of Berlin are made by an independent advisory board, the Atelierbeirat.

The Atelierbüro is the office of the Atelierbeirat and the contact for applicants.

more information on the → studio advisory board

Subsidised studios and studio apartments are allocated exclusively to professional artists in the field of Fine Art according to urgent social and professional need. Their place of residence must be Berlin. Artists who have just moved to Berlin must wait for six months before applying. Enrolled students cannot apply (exception: "Meisterschüler*innenjahr").

There is an income limit for applicants in the studio rental programme. It is depending on the size of the household. For studio apartments, a residence entitlement certificate (Wohnberechtigungsschein = WBS), must be presented.

You must declare your total annual household income. This includes income from the sale of works, from fees and work contracts or scholarships, wages and salaries, income from investments, unemployment benefits or assistance, housing benefits, pensions, social assistance, child benefits (Kindergeld), other benefits and other income. You will also find details on this in the application form itself.

You should then state your net income, i.e. income after the deduction of taxes paid and expenses for your artistic activity.

If your household consists of several persons, the net annual income of these persons (including child benefits) must be added to your personal net annual income.

Since income for freelancers fluctuates seasonally, we always consider the annual income from the previous year. If you are unclear about how to fill in the self-disclosure correctly, please contact the studio office before submitting the application.

You can find information on the required income details in our help for completing the self-disclosure form.

The following annual net incomes cannot be exceeded (examples):

Förderschiene 1 (rental price group A)

  • Single artist: € 19,200
  • Single artist with child: € 22,480
  • Couple together: € 28,800
  • Couple together with child: € 32,080

Förderschiene 2 (rental price group B)

  • Single artist: € 30,590
  • Single artist with child: € 33,870
  • Couple together: € 45,890
  • Couple together with child: € 49,170

For each additional person living in the household and supported by you (i.e. especially children under 18 years of age), the income limit is increased by € 3,280.

If your work-related expenses (such as material expenses, advertising costs, etc.) have exceeded the lump sum of 5,000 €, please add a rough list of costs (no individual invoices, please).

The Gesellschaft für Stadtentwicklung (GSE) gGmbH and the Berliner Immobilien Management GmbH (BIM) rent spaces from municipal housing associations and other landlords that are suitable for artistic work. After a call for applications by the Studio Office, an application by the artists and the allocation by the Studio Advisory Board, the leasing companies GSE or BIM conclude sublease agreements with the named artists and generally pass on their own general lease conditions.

The studios are allocated for a period of two years.
After submitted an updated proof of income, the contracts will be renewed for another two years, provided that the eligibility requirements are still met.

Artists are required to register their spaces with the Studio Office for subsequent or interim rental if they change studios and/or spend a longer period of time abroad.

The rental contracts for studio apartments are concluded directly with the landlord or the respective property company. They are purely residential leases and are therefore subject to greater protection against termination; the contractual provisions of the property management companies apply.

The rent is fixed and is based on the local rent index. As a rule, three months net cold rent must be paid as a deposit. A housing allowance can be applied for to cover the residential part of the space, provided the rooms are used as your primary residence.

Artists are required to register their spaces with the Studio Office for subsequent or interim rental if they change studios and/or spend a longer period of time abroad.

To apply for a studio apartment, a WBS with special space requirements must be submitted in most cases. This can be obtained from the municipal district offices:

The special space requirement should be explained under points 5 and 6 of the application.