Residence title / Visa for artists

Foreigners, who plan to stay in Germany for more than three month or who want to work here are generally required to have a visa, except for citizens of the other EU-countries,  EEA-countries (Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein), and Switzerland. 

Apply for a long-term visa
In order to apply for a long-term visa the applicant needs to contact the embassy or general consulate of the Federal Republic of Germany in the administrative district where the applicant resides. The visa needs to be approved by the relevant foreigner registration office (Einwanderungsbehörde) in Germany. For artists who want to live and work in Berlin the relevant office is the "Landesamt für Einwanderung Berlin". Citizens of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea, the United Kingdom and the USA do not need to apply for their visa prior to their stay in Germany but can do so after their arrival.

Berlin immigration authorities
For artists who want to live and work in Berlin for a longer term the regulation § 21 Abs. 5 of the Aufenthaltsgesetz (AufenthG) is important. It deals with residence-permits for self-employed applicants. In Berlin according to „Vorläufigen Anwendungshinweisen der Ausländerbehörde Berlin (VAB)“ this regulation is usually  applied in a way favourable for artists. Because Berlin is considered as ‘the capital of arts and movies’  with an economical interest in the arts self-employed artists, musicians, actors, film-makers and others are usually granted a residence permit in Berlin.

Related Links



Rundfunkbeitrag / licence fee if you have a registred address in Germany: